If there has been any development in the last few decades that stands out, it is the rapid development of renewable energy sources. This has everything to do with the fact that we are slowly but surely in the ‘danger zone’. Climate change is here and it’s starting to get more and more serious. This makes it more important than ever to stay focussed on innovation for renewable energy sources. And to make sure as many people as possible know about it.
What are the latest renewable energy sources?
The nice thing about renewable energy sources is that it is possible to develop them in different ways. This means that there has been considerable progress in several areas. With that, we as humans have more and more choices. Instead of choosing fossil fuels, businesses and individuals are increasingly using the following energy sources:
- Solar energy: Solar energy is one of the first options people think of. That makes sense, as more and more people have solar panels on their roofs. These solar panels use the sun’s energy to generate power. It is important to mention that a lot of progress has been made in recent years. Today’s solar panels are a lot better on several levels than they were until recently. This includes factors like their yield, purchase price and lifespan. The better they get, the more people are interested in them.
- Wind energy: Then there is wind energy. For countries as a whole, this is certainly an interesting possibility. Consider, for example, the wind farms that countries are increasingly churning out. The windmills run day and night, whenever there is wind. This is a very good, renewable source of energy. For example, some countries in Europe are choosing to build wind farms at sea. No one is bothered by them there and there is usually quite a lot of wind. All in all, it is a win-win situation.
- Biofuel: By biofuel we mean all forms of fuels made from biomass. Thus, it is organic material or waste. This includes, for example, bioethanol, biogas or biodiesel. The great advantage of these materials is that they are carbon neutral. In addition, it often provides substantial savings on fuel costs. Where fossil fuels eventually run out and become more expensive, this is not the case with biomass. In fact, in principle, biomass never runs out. So it is with good reason that this form of a renewable energy source is receiving more attention than ever before.
- Hydropower: Hydropower is another renewable energy source. Another resource that basically never runs out. There is always running water somewhere. Plus, you are minimally dependent on specific weather conditions. For example, water in a river always flows in one direction. You don’t have to wait for the sun to shine or the wind to blow. With a good installation, you can make the best use of the power of running water. This produces a relatively large amount of energy in very little time.
- Geothermal energy: Finally, there is geothermal energy. This is because the earth’s core is always warm. As long as you drill deep enough into the ground, it is possible to reach water. Generally, this involves a depth of around 500 metres. From that point on, the water temperature is so high that it makes sense to pump it up. Using a heat exchanger, you can then transfer the heat to cold or lukewarm water. This way, geothermal heat provides homes and businesses with the heat or energy they need.
Best renewable energy source for at home
It is generally agreed that solar panels are the best option for people at home. This is because solar panels are the most practical. Provided you have a suitable roof, all you have to do is install them. That gives you a sustainable source of energy for years to come. The expected lifespan is already as long as 40 years. That means that after you get solar panels, you don’t have to worry about replacing them for the next 40 years.
Do make sure you think of everything. For example, take a good look at which solar panels best suit your needs. And don’t forget to purchase a suitable inverter. The inverter is crucial to making the generated power actually usable in the home. Opt for a Sungrow inverter or a Huawei inverter. These are known within the industry as some of the most reliable options. With that, you are also choosing a long life for your inverters. Are you doing your part to make the world a greener place yet? Check out the possibilities and discover how this has become financially advantageous as well.